Over the years thousands of wedding photos have been taken in the park and even a handful of weddings have taken place especially in the Rose Garden. We have even heard of some marriage proposals under the trellis and glow of blue lights in the winter.
Since it is a city park it is necessary to get a permit if you are planing on having a wedding in the park or taking wedding photos in the park. (There is no fee for proposing in the park but make sure it is romantic)
City of Boston Wedding & Photography Policy
The City of Boston's beautiful parks and gardens offer space for small weddings and photographs. These and other types of events require a permit issued by the Boston Parks and Recreation Department.
Although weddings and wedding photographs are private affairs, when held in a park couples, attendants, guests, and photographers must strive to conduct their ceremony and photographs in a manner that does not impact or deter the general public's enjoyment of our parks.
This policy is in accordance with Park Commission Rules, environmental protection, and sound management practices. To ensure park protection and little or no park disruption, the Department enforces limit capacity and activities within the following guidelines.
Couples must apply for a wedding ceremony or photographs by submitting a Special Event Permit Application and a cashier's or bank check payable to the City of Boston at least 10 business days prior to the event.
City of Boston residents $50.00 Non-Boston residents $100.00
A site visit is strongly recommended.
No rehearsals are permitted.
The Department does not offer alternate locations or rain dates to be used in case of bad weather. It is recommended to have a back-up plan.
The wedding party is responsible for cleaning the area used following the wedding ceremony or photographs. Any trash generated by your party must be removed prior to your departure.
Parking is limited at most parks; car-pooling is advised. Illegal parking is subject to tagging and towing at the owner's expense.
No event or directional signs are allowed. It is suggested that you specify the exact location in your invitations and place an attendant at the nearest gate to guide your guests.
Permits will be issued under the following conditions:
- Wedding activities are scheduled between April 1 - December 1
- 60-minute maximum duration.
- Wedding activities are scheduled:
- Monday through Friday between 3:00 - 5:30 PM
- Weekends between 11:00 AM - 5:30 PM
- Wedding activities are not permitted on legal holidays.
- Permit is issued for a maximum of 50 people including the wedding party
- No vehicles permitted or parking on park property.
- No tents, tables, chairs, altars, arbors, decorations, signs, rice, birdseed, confetti, glass, balloons, props, or animals.
- No music or amplified sound.
- Cannot restrict other park visitors from the park nor block pathways.
- All trash and debris generated must be removed prior to departure.
Applications are accepted in the same year as the wedding. Select a date, fill out Special Event Application, attach a check and mail it in.
For more information, please contact the Director of Permitting at (617) 635-4874.
Visit the Registry Division web page for